Monday, April 21, 2014

New Post Coming Soon ON....DARK SOULS II

How to begin...

I've not been posting lately as much as I'd like, mostly due to the many hours I've been spending running around and beating Dark Souls II for my first time. It's so far been one of my favorite experiences lately in gaming and I'm going to be glad to write about it. Unfortunately that's where I get stumped.

There are so many great things that I'd love to talk about when it comes to Dark Souls that I could write for days. I could write a book on the nuances of the world building or the combat system. I've made a study of the series (including Demon's Souls) and I don't want to leave anything out. That's one of the reasons I'm putting it off, just so I can get my head wrapped around what's important, and also so I can get the rest of my life in order before putting pen to paper.

I love blogging about games, especially getting into the nitty gritty about the great things that each game I play brings to the table. Playing and developing games are two sides of the same coin, and I'd like to think that someday I may have an insight on the best qualities of the medium and be able to communicate to an audience about some of the components (ie. plot, setting, level design, character development, gameplay) that individually make games great. 

I'd like to bring that boring literature analysis that we've all had to go through (Ahem, English 101) to gaming, and take a critical look at the things that capture our attention and capture us for hours on end. For me, From Software have done so many unique things correctly with the Souls franchise that I'd like to give the series the time it deserves. 

Right now however, finals are upon us, my 2-year-old is brutally defiant, and work is as busy as ever. So I'll have to keep thinking in the moments between projects about how to begin my analysis, and find some time in my schedule to actually get around to writing about the series in a way that I find fitting. It's just a little pet project of mine that I'd like to bring a certain level of quality to.

No comments:

Post a Comment